What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine addresses the underlying, root causes of illness, using a systems-oriented approach and engaging both patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. Functional Medicine views the body as one integrated system, not a collection of independent organs that should be divided up by medical specialties. To put it simply, it treats the whole system, not just the symptoms.
This science-based evolution in the practice of medicine better-addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century by shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach.
To support healing and restore balance, the Functional Medicine model looks at:
- How each organ and system is functioning and communicating in conjunction with the rest of your body.
- Your unique genetic makeup
- Your internal and external lifestyle and environmental factors that affect body function
- Integrating Western medical practices (use of the latest lab testing and diagnostic tools) with what is sometimes considered “alternative” or “integrative” medicine (combinations of supplements, therapeutic diets, weight loss/detoxification programs, stress-management techniques,etc.)
- Maintenance and ongoing prevention through nutrition, diet, and exercise
See our list of available Diagnostic Tests Here: